Can I just say that my dad makes the most amazing Italian style stuffed peppers? He’s been making them since I was a kid.. and there’s not much that he can make that’s good. But these? Bellissimo. My dads stuffed peppers are not weight watchers approved however. So I need an alternative that won’t make my trainer or my leader angry with me. (And I gotta say, they aren’t too hard to eat either!)
WW Points: 10 points per pepper
Cook Time: 10-20 prep time, 1 hour cook time
What you need:
-3/4 cup Spanish or Mexican Rice (I used Zatarain’s and made that first to mix in. There was left overs. Must use precooked rice)
-1 lb ground turkey (I used 93/7 but the leaner the better)
-5 Bell Peppers of assorted colors
-1/2 diced yellow onion
-8 oz canned enchilada sauce
-1 1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
Preheat oven to 400*
1. Dice up 1/2 a yellow onion. Add one cup of enchilada sauce with diced onion into a sauce pan and cook on medium until onions are soft.
2. Cut tops off of bell peppers. Remove stems and seeds and dice the tops of the bell peppers.
3. Pour 1/3 of a cup of water into the bottom of a casserole dish and arrange bell peppers.
4. In a large mixing bowl or Kitchenaid mixer with paddle attachment, combine one pound of uncooked ground turkey, onion/enchilada sauce mixture, diced bell peppers, 1 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese, 3/4 cup of cooked rice and stir.
5. Fill bell peppers with ground beef mixture.
6. Cook on 400* for 1 hour. Keep an eye that they don’t dry out. If they seem a lil dry just baste tops of peppers with the water from the bottom of the pan.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle about 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese on top and enjoy!